Liberty NURS 625 Nursing Administration III: Management of Resources Entire Course
Get Guided Liberty NURS 625 Nursing Administration III Management of Resources Entire Course
This practicum course will provide the student an opportunity to apply legal, regulatory, and ethical considerations in the management of resources. Management of human resources will include topics such as relationship management, staff development, professional performance appraisals, motivation, personnel policies, and procedures. Principles of financial, material, and technical resource management will be utilized through collaborative learning opportunities.
For information regarding prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.
This course provides the student an opportunity to apply principles of finance and resource management in a healthcare setting through a precepted practicum experience. The course helps meet standards of graduate-level nursing education as articulated by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the American Nurses Association’s Scope and Standards for Nursing Administration.
Measurable Learning Conclusions:
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply cost, revenue, and expense data related to financial operations for the healthcare unit/division and organization. (PLO 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, AACN/CCNE II, III, VI, VII, VIII, IX, NLN 5, 6, 8, ANA-Admin. 3, 5b, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16).
- Apply principles of human resource management to recruitment, retention, and aspects of staff development and personnel management. (PLO 1,2, 3, 6,7, AACN/CCNE I, II, III, IV, VI, IX, NLN 5, 6, 7, 8, ANA-Admin. 3, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16).
- Evaluate utilization of staff and resources to provide population-based care including the use of staffing models and patient classification analysis. ( PLO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7; AACN/CCNE I, II, III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, NLN 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, ANA-Admin. 3, 5b, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16).
- Explain healthcare cost, safety, and quality of care. (PLO 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, AACN/CCNE II, III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, NLN 1, 5, 6, 8, ANA-Admin. 3, 5b, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16).
- Apply the Christian worldview to personnel management. .(PLO 6, LU mission, AACN/CCNE IX, NLN 6, ANA-Admin 12).
- Identify factors affecting market share and marketing strategies for healthcare organizations. (PLO 1, 4, 5, 7, AACN/CCNE I, II, III, IV, VI, VII, VIII, NLN 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, ANA-Admin. 3, 5b, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16).
Course Assignment Outline:
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in the Course Overview.
Discussions are collaborative in nature; therefore, the student is required to write a post in response to the provided topic for each Discussion. Each post must be 500 words; include personal reflection/experience and biblical integration, and demonstrate course-related knowledge. Students will post at least two 250-word replies to other classmates’ posts. All citations must be in the current APA format. (MLO 2, 3 , 4, 6)
Case Study Assignment
- Moving an organization towards a future state includes change.
- The nurse leader must be prepared to lead and manage all aspects of personnel and operations through the change.
- The nursing departments focus on the professional role and how it fulfills the mission and vision.
- The plan must support the provision of cost-effective quality and safe patient care supported by the ANA Code of Ethics and Scope and Standards of Nursing Practice.
- Today’s systems must be technology-enhanced and consumer-driven including wellness strategies and empowering nurses to work at the top of their license.
- The student will write a 5-7 page paper in the current APA format.
- The student must use 5 peer-reviewed articles published within the last 5 years (unless a classical or theoretical work) in addition to the course textbooks and at least 2 biblical citations. (MLO 1-6)
Journal Article Critique Assignment
For this assignment, the student will write a 4-5-page journal article critique in the current APA format that focuses on pay for performance and the impact on nursing. This article critique must review a peer-reviewed article published within the last 5 years related to pay for performance and the impact of quality/safety in nursing. Include reflections on the positions presented on patient safety, cost, and staffing. (MLO 2, 3, 4, 6)
Managing Human Capital Paper Assignment
The student must complete an 8–10-page paper in the current APA format that focuses on elements of managing a diverse workforce as seen through the Christian worldview. This paper must include 5–7 peer-reviewed references written within the last 5 years in addition to at least 1 reference from the course textbooks and 1 citation from the Bible. (MLO 1-5)
Strategic Planning Group Project Assignment
Students will be assigned in groups to work on this three-part group assignment.
Strategic Plan: Group Environment/SWOT Analysis Assignment
The student will complete a paper that must discuss an organization’s mission and vision including a description of the organization and unit being evaluated. Provide a thorough discussion of the environmental analysis with a focus on technology. Discuss how technology supports quality, safety, security, data mining, and outcomes, etc. Conduct a SWOT analysis discussing technology used or that should be used to support budget, quality, safety, etc…
The student will work with their group to complete the following:
- Write a 5–7-page analysis of the environmental analysis focused on technology. This must include a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) of the technology in place or needed in the unit. Evaluate the use of information management/technology.
- How will success be defined?
- How are the quality and value of the unit’s services assessed?
- Based on the SWOT analysis, what next steps need to be taken? Why?
- Does the overall mission/plan support the Christian worldview?
Write the paper in the current APA format. Include 4–6 resources including peer-reviewed journals (written within the last 5 years), the Bible, and the textbook. Each member will submit the paper through Turnitin.
Strategic Plan: Group Work Plan Assignment
The student will work with the group to complete the following:
- Step One (recommendation): Decide on a covenant of expectations for group behaviors, (e.g., who is doing what, when are items due, editing, etc.).
- Step Two: Based on the SWOT analysis completed last week, decide on the initiatives related to technology/information management to address (i.e., target population and health initiative).
- Implement a new EMR system that will work system-wide
- Purchase new IV pumps that will reduce errors
- Utilize technology to improve medication compliance with HIV/AIDS patients
Link the outcome to National Quality Forum indicators or other national benchmarks if possible. Utilize at least 3–5 peer-reviewed articles related to your SMART objectives for this assignment in addition to websites and other resources related to the development of the strategic plan using SMART objectives.
- Step Three: Link the strategic plan objectives to the mission and vision of the organization.
- Step Four: Complete the work plan template. Familiarize yourself with the logic model for program development including how to write SMART objectives.
- Step Five: Include the following information for the work plan submission: a title page written in the current APA format. The title page must include all student names; a work plan document (may be landscape or portrait); and a reference page documenting web, print, and electronic resources written in the current APA format. This assignment must be 4–6 pages and must include 3–5 peer-reviewed resources written within the last 5 years (not including the textbook). Resources do not need to be included in the table unless quoted. Submit the document via Turnitin.
Strategic Plan: Group PowerPoint Presentation Assignment
The focus of this assignment is to develop a persuasive presentation suitable for healthcare leadership to fund and support an initiative identified as a need in the SWOT analysis previously conducted. Include the following suggested listing of slides to address the main points for this assignment. This is just a suggestion. The slides may be rearranged as needed, but they must contain the major talking points per the assignment instructions. The student may have more than 1 slide for these topics; however, there should only be approximately 10 slides (not including the title and reference slides).
Title slide: Must contain the title of the presentation and the names of all students in the group; this must be in the current APA format.
Introduction Slide: Concise overview of the organization, mission, and vision. The student may need a few more slides to expand on this.
The next few slides must address the results of the SWOT analysis (be brief) and then discuss the finding presented in the work plan to address the initiative. Be sure to include the structures, processes, and measurable outcomes of the initiative in the strategic plan. Address the following for the initiative(s) from the work plan. The goal of this presentation is to persuade management to support your proposed strategic plan.
- Improved Safety
- Improved Quality
- Cost Effective
Also, include a slide about funding/budget.
The next section of the presentation will include a few slides on the evaluation plan with short- and long-term measurable outcomes.
Conclusion slide: Lastly, include closing remarks on a slide to wrap up and include a discussion of at least 1 health care quality/finance concept such as bench-marking, cost/benefit analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, comparative effectiveness, etc. For example, show the board or leaders that you have done your homework and that your initiatives will be cost-effective.
Include reference slides at the end of the presentation.
Practicum/Clinical Log Assignments (2)
The Practicum/Clinical Log is the documentation of the 200-hour practicum experience of which 75 hours will be completed in this course. The documentation is to be completed in Typhon. Instructions for setting up Typhon are found in the MSN Handbook. The log must be comprehensive in detail related to the experiences in the field and reflective of the American Nurses Association’s Scope and Standards of Practice for Nurse Administrator’s competencies. The discussion must be in-depth and analytical. It must also include examples of how the student has applied the ANA competencies and readings from the textbooks and professional literature in the practicum setting. Any citations must be provided in the current APA format. Upon final approval of the practicum goals and objectives, the student will work on practicum hours weekly. Log submissions will be entered in Typhon.
NOTE: In addition to accruing the required number of practicum hours, there must be a passing grade for the practicum experience which includes the following: progression with the student’s established goals and objectives, in-depth documentation of the practicum experiences as evidenced in the clinical log, and satisfactory preceptor evaluations. Failure to pass the practicum requirements will result in failure of the course; see the MSN Handbook for practicum expectations related to performance and professionalism. (MLO 1-6)
Quiz: Practicum Evaluations (3)
- The preceptor will complete an evaluation of the student at the end of the practicum experience.
- The evaluation will be sent electronically over a secured server through Typhon to the preceptor.
- The instructor will retain the preceptor evaluation and may review it with the student upon request.
- Refer to the MSN Student Handbook located in the School of Nursing Program Center for important detailed information.
- The student will complete a Self-Evaluation, and an Evaluation of the Site and Preceptor, and the preceptor will complete an evaluation of the student.
- All evaluations must be completed and submitted as directed.
- Failure to submit any of the end-of-course evaluations will result in a final course grade of “incomplete.”
- The student will be unable to progress to the next practicum course until the grade of “incomplete” is resolved.
The student will complete a self-evaluation of his/her practicum experiences using the provided form. The student will upload a screenshot of the completed Self-Evaluation to the Quiz: Self-Evaluation.
The site and Preceptor Evaluation:
The student will complete an evaluation of the site and preceptor for his/her practicum experience using the form provided. This document must be shared with the preceptor. The student will upload a screenshot of the completed Site and Preceptor Evaluation to the Quiz: Site and Preceptor Evaluation.
The preceptor will complete an evaluation of the student at the end of the practicum experience. The instructor will electronically send the evaluation to the preceptor via a secured server through Typhon.
There are no reviews yet.